Future of Nursing Initiative
Take the CA AC Survey and sign up for one of the 8 recommendations work group. You can do this any time during this process.
March 2013 CA Action Coalition Update
January 7, 2013 Report from Statewide Director Mary Dickow
Happy New Year-we are looking forward to working with all of you in 2013! We are back and ready to kick off 2013 with a commitment to providing you with regular updates and new items.
2012 brought a number of successes for the CA AC and the Future of Nursing Campaign. We owe much of that success to the Leadership Council, the Recommendation Workgroups, our Regional Champions and the vast number of volunteers who devoted time and energy to this important work. We have the continued support of the California Institute of Nursing and Health Care. A special note of appreciation from the Executive Director goes out to Deloras Jones, who retired in November 2012 from her position at the Institute, who helped assure that the Coalition would be well supported. We are excited to be working with Judee Berg in her role as the Institute’s new Executive Director and we are committed to continuing the development of a long-term plan to advance health of all Californians. I have included the 2012 highlights and other items of interest for your review.
The 8 recommendation from the IOM Study are:
- Remove Scope of Practice Barriers
- Expand opportunities for nurses to lead and diffuse collaborative improvement efforts
- Implement nurse residency program
- Increase the proportion of nurses with a BS degree to 80% by 2020
- Double the number of nurses with a doctorate by 2020
- Ensure that nurses engage in lifelong learning
- Prepare and enable nurses to lead change to advance health
- Build an infrastructure for the collection and analysis of interprofessional health-care workforce dataTo learn more about this important work, visit the following links:
- Complete IOM Study This page allows the viewer to read it/download it free in pdf format or purchase hardcover.
- Brief IOM Study Report
- 8 Recommendations Report Learn more about the Campaign for Action: Future of Nursing